Vancouver Coastal Health is looking for a Registered Psychiatric Nurse OR Registered Nurse to join the Mental Health and Substance Use Team in Vancouver, BC. Apply today to join our team!
As a Mental Health Nurse with VCH, you will:
- Provide individualized direct nursing care and brokerage services to a wide range of clients with severe and persistent mental illness, concurrent disorders and/or dementia and be responsible for the full range of clinical practice and the client-centred rehabilitation program by working independently and as a member of a team.
- Enhance the quality of life of the client/family.
- Perform physical and psychosocial rehabilitation assessments.
- Consult, confer and collaborate with other health care givers and family members to develop, implement, evaluate and modify individualized strength-based treatment plan.
- Establish, maintain and enhance therapeutic relationships based on respect.
- Administer prescribed medicines, monitor client response and demonstrate and provide ongoing information to the client/family on activities of daily living, use of medication and side-effects and integration of illness to their lifestyle.
- Prepare and maintain client records according to established standards.
- Participate in team meetings, engage in team planning and quality improvement activities and maintain and update your own knowledge.
WHO WE ARE
Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH) is a world class innovator in medical care, research and teaching, delivering service to more than one million BC residents living in Vancouver, Vancouver's North Shore, Richmond, the Sea-to-Sky Highway, Sunshine Coast, and the Central Coast (Bella Bella and Bella Coola.) At VCH, we embrace thinking boldly, taking smart risks, and "going first" when we believe it will lead to the best possible outcomes for patients and their families. At our core, we are a people-focused organization where entrepreneurial spirit runs deep, and opportunity exists for all those who see themselves in the transformation of health care as we know it.
Education & Experience
- Current practicing registration as a Registered Nurse or Registered Psychiatric Nurse with the BC College of Nurses and Midwives (BCCNM).
- Diploma in Nursing or Psychiatric Nursing plus two (2) years’ recent related experience working with individuals with severe and persistent psychiatric illness or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Valid BC Drivers License. Local area travel may require the use of a personal vehicle.
Knowledge & Abilities
- Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of a client and family centered recovery model in mental illness.
- Knowledge of concurrent disorders.
- Knowledge of Psychosocial Rehabilitation methodology.
- Knowledge of the Mental Health Act as it applies to the rights and obligations of clients and staff.
- Knowledge of community, social and mental health resources.
- Ability to identify emotional, social, or environmental barriers and intervene to eliminate stigma.
- Ability to effectively manage conflict situations and aggressive behaviour and use non-violent crisis intervention and behavioural management techniques.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively as a member of an interdisciplinary team.