Come work as a Mental Health and Addictions Outreach Nurse with Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH)!
Vancouver Coastal Health is looking for a Registered Nurse OR Registered Psychiatric Nurse to join the Inner City Intensive Case Management Team (ICMT) as a Mental Health and Addictions Outreach Nurse. Apply today to join our team!
As a Mental Health and Addictions Outreach Nurse with VCH you will:
- Conduct mental and physical status assessments and assess clients’ physiological, psychological, sociocultural and spiritual needs to determine priority of care requirements based on client needs, availability of resources and best practices.
- Provide counseling and assist client with reducing repeated contact with and use of acute and community healthcare services/programs/resources.
- Assess high risk situations and provide crisis intervention.
- Collaborate with interdisciplinary team to develop, implement and adjust client’s care plan and meet the client’s need for integrated services and continuity of care across the continuum.
- Facilitate the movement of clients between acute care, community agency support site and designated health centre.
- Participate in case conferences/meetings with members of the multidisciplinary team.
- Assist clients with attendance to needed services such as medical appointments
Education and Experience
- Current practicing registration as a Registered Nurse or Registered Psychiatric Nurse with the British Columbia College of Nursing Professionals (BCCNP).
- Diploma in Nursing or Psychiatric Nursing plus two (2) years’ recent related experience working with individuals with mental health and addictions illness or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Valid BC Drivers License. Local area travel may require the use of a personal vehicle.
Knowledge and Abilities
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of a client and family centered recovery model in mental illness.
- Broad knowledge of crisis intervention and counseling skills.
- Broad knowledge of mental health illness and treatment.
- Broad knowledge of psychopharmacology (indication and side effects).
- Broad knowledge of substance abuse and addictions treatment.
- Broad knowledge of other facilities and community resources.
- Demonstrated ability to conduct psychiatric assessments.
- Demonstrated ability to provide treatment planning, counseling, crisis intervention, and case coordination.
- Demonstrated skill in CPR techniques.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, with clients and their families, colleagues, physicians, and other health care staff, both one-on-one and in groups.
- Demonstrated listening and information seeking skills that promotes communication and lead to a cooperative approach to problem solving within a multidisciplinary setting.
- Demonstrated ability to establish workload priorities.
- Demonstrated ability to adjust schedule to deal with unexpected situations.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and collaboratively as a member of a multidisciplinary team.
- Demonstrated ability to provide consultation and leadership.
- Demonstrated ability to problem solve.
- Demonstrated ability to deal effectively with conflict situations.
- Ability to operate related equipment.
- Physical ability to perform the duties of the position.
- Basic computer literacy to operate a computerized client care information system and word processing, Internet and email software.
The hours of work including days off and work area may be subject to change consistent with operational requirements and the provision of the Collective Agreement and applicable statutes.
WHY JOIN VANCOUVER COASTAL HEALTH?
VCH is a world class innovator in medical care, research and teaching, delivering service to more than one million BC residents. At VCH, we embrace thinking boldly, taking smart risks, and "going first" when we believe it will lead to the best possible outcomes for patients and their families. We invite you to join us in creating healthy lives in healthy communities by showcasing our passion for care, connection to the communities we serve and our culture of teamwork that makes VCH a great place to work.
- Comprehensive health benefits package, including MSP, extended health and dental and municipal pension plan
- Grow your career with employer-paid training and leadership development opportunities
- Wellness supports, including counselling, critical incident and innovative wellness services are available to employees and their immediate families
- Award-winning recognition programs to honour staff, medical staff and volunteers
- Access to exclusive discount offers and deals for VCH staff
Diversity, equity and inclusion are essential to delivering exceptional care and building a great place to work. At VCH, we value and accommodate unique differences to ensure that our staff and medical staff (both current and prospective) have the opportunity and are supported to thrive.
To build a strong and representative workforce, we are seeking candidates who will contribute to a caring and inclusive culture. We encourage applications from members of communities that are disadvantaged on any grounds under the B.C. Human Rights Code, including Indigenous Peoples, people of colour, people of all genders and sexualities and people with disabilities.
VCH is proud to be recognized as a Best Place to Work in Canada in 2021 by Glassdoor and Forbes.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for this posting. Thank you for your interest in Vancouver Coastal Health.