Come work as a Registered Nurse in General Surgery with Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH)!
Vancouver Coastal Health is looking for a Registered Nurse to join the Inpatient Surgery team at Lions Gate Hospital. Apply today to join our team!
As a Registered Nurse at Lions Gate Hospital you will:
- Provide nursing care to assigned patients/clients by working independently and as a member of an interdisciplinary care team.
- Assess, plan, implement and evaluate client care for designated surgical patient/client group.
- Participates in discharge planning, functions as a client advocate and teaches clients and their families about illness/injury and overall health promotion and wellness.
- Enhances quality of life from the perspective of the client/family.
- Documents care provided and responds to incidents in accordance with established policies and procedures.
- Consults, confers and collaborates with other health care providers.
- Maintains and advances own clinical competence.
- Participates on designated hospital committees/teams and approved research projects as assigned.
Education & Experience
- Current practicing registration as a Registered Nurse with the BC College of Nurses and Midwives (BCCNM).
Knowledge & Abilities
- Demonstrated ability in nursing practice related to designated client group - Surgical Patients
- Demonstrated knowledge of pathophysiology related to common diagnosis/surgeries and specific clinical situations related to area of practice (e.g. Orthopedic/Ortho Trauma; Heart failure (CHF); Chest Pain, MI, Angina; Respiratory Disease/ Asthma/COPD; Diabetes; Gastrointestinal; Bowel Surgery ERAS; Resections; Hepatic; Renal; Glandular procedures; Vascular; Mastectomy; Urology; Cystectomy ERAS).
- Demonstrated ability to provide nursing assessments & interventions related to common diagnosis/surgeries and specific clinical situations relevant to the designated patient/client group (e.g. Management of fractures; Hip/Knee replacement; Arrhythmias; Sepsis/Shock; DVT/Pulmonary embolism; Endovascular Aortic Stent Grafts; Diabetes; Cardiac/Respiratory failure and arrest; End-stage liver disease; Renal failure; Amputation/Lower limb; Epidural and PCA; Chest Tubes: Ostomies; Wound Care: surgical incisions, skin grafts, VAC dressing, chronic and complex wounds).
- Demonstrated ability to perform focused secondary assessments and integrate information from a variety of sources including diagnostics and develop plan of care relevant to the designated patient/client group.
WHY JOIN VANCOUVER COASTAL HEALTH?
VCH is a world class innovator in medical care, research and teaching, delivering service to more than one million BC residents. At VCH, we embrace thinking boldly, taking smart risks, and "going first" when we believe it will lead to the best possible outcomes for patients and their families. We invite you to join us in creating healthy lives in healthy communities by showcasing our passion for care, connection to the communities we serve and our culture of teamwork that makes VCH a great place to work.
- Comprehensive health benefits package, including MSP, extended health and dental and municipal pension plan
- Grow your career with employer-paid training and leadership development opportunities
- Wellness supports, including counselling, critical incident and innovative wellness services are available to employees and their immediate families
- Award-winning recognition programs to honour staff, medical staff and volunteers
- Access to exclusive discount offers and deals for VCH staff
Diversity, equity and inclusion are essential to delivering exceptional care and building a great place to work. At VCH, we value and accommodate unique differences to ensure that our staff and medical staff (both current and prospective) have the opportunity and are supported to thrive.
To build a strong and representative workforce, we are seeking candidates who will contribute to a caring and inclusive culture. We encourage applications from members of communities that are disadvantaged on any grounds under the B.C. Human Rights Code, including Indigenous Peoples, people of colour, people of all genders and sexualities and people with disabilities.
VCH is proud to be recognized as a Best Place to Work in Canada in 2021 by Glassdoor and Forbes.