Vancouver Coastal Health is looking for a Registered Psychiatric Nurse OR Registered Nurse to join the team at Venture House as a Mental Health Nurse. Apply today to join our team!
As a Mental Health Nurse with Venture House you will:
- Provide individualized direct nursing care and brokerage services to a wide range of clients with severe and persistent mental illness, concurrent disorders and/or dementia.
- Be responsible for the full range of clinical practice and the client-centred rehabilitation program by working independently and as a member of a team.
- Enhance quality of life from the perspective of the client/family.
- Perform physical and psychosocial rehabilitation assessments.
- Consult, confer and collaborate with other health care givers and family members to develop, implement, evaluate and modify individualized strength-based treatment plans.
- Establish, maintain and enhance therapeutic relationships based on respect.
- Administer prescribed medicines, monitor client response and demonstrate and provide ongoing information to the client/family on activities of daily living, use of medication and side-effects and integration of illness to their lifestyle.
About Venture House
Venture House provides early intervention and stabilization psychiatric treatment to Vancouver Adult Residents (19+). Treatment is voluntary, and provided in a 20 bed, 24/7, licensed facility in the community with a length of stay range of 1 to 4 weeks.
Venture House Client Profile:
- Vancouver residents
- Significant mental health issues including concurrent disorders
- Involved key care provider*
- Medically stable
- Independent with ADLs
Education & Experience
- Current practicing registration as a Registered Nurse or Registered Psychiatric Nurse with the BC College of Nurses and Midwives (BCCNM).
- Diploma in Nursing or Psychiatric Nursing plus two (2) years’ recent related experience working with individuals with severe and persistent psychiatric illness or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Valid BC Drivers License. Local area travel may require the use of a personal vehicle.
Knowledge & Abilities
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of a client and family centered recovery model in mental illness.
- Knowledge of concurrent disorders.
- Knowledge of Psychosocial Rehabilitation methodology.
- Knowledge of the Mental Health Act as it applies to the rights and obligations of clients and staff.
- Knowledge of community, social and mental health resources.
WHY JOIN VANCOUVER COASTAL HEALTH?
VCH is a world class innovator in medical care, research and teaching, delivering service to more than one million BC residents. At VCH, we embrace thinking boldly, taking smart risks, and "going first" when we believe it will lead to the best possible outcomes for patients and their families. We invite you to join us in creating healthy lives in healthy communities by showcasing our passion for care, connection to the communities we serve and our culture of teamwork that makes VCH a great place to work.
- Comprehensive health benefits package, including MSP, extended health and dental and municipal pension plan
- Grow your career with employer-paid training and leadership development opportunities
- Wellness supports, including counselling, critical incident and innovative wellness services are available to employees and their immediate families
- Award-winning recognition programs to honour staff, medical staff and volunteers
- Access to exclusive discount offers and deals for VCH staff
Diversity, equity and inclusion are essential to delivering exceptional care and building a great place to work. At VCH, we value and accommodate unique differences to ensure that our staff and medical staff (both current and prospective) have the opportunity and are supported to thrive.
To build a strong and representative workforce, we are seeking candidates who will contribute to a caring and inclusive culture. We encourage applications from members of communities that are disadvantaged on any grounds under the B.C. Human Rights Code, including Indigenous Peoples, people of colour, people of all genders and sexualities and people with disabilities.
VCH is proud to be recognized as a Best Place to Work in Canada in 2021 by Glassdoor and Forbes.