Vancouver Coastal Health is looking for a Registered Psychiatric Nurse OR Registered Nurse to join the team at the Purdy Pavilions at UBC Hospital. Apply today to join our team!
As a Nurse in Long Term Care with VCH you will:
- Use sound judgment and appliy critical thinking skills in providing Long Term Care to predominantly older residents in a Long Term Care setting, both by working independently and as a member of an interdisciplinary team.
- Demonstrate expertise and leadership in nursing practice and coordinate the implementation of clinical interventions, evaluation of resident outcomes based on resident goals of care.
- Act as a resource for the interdisciplinary team by providing information and coordination of ongoing resident care.
- Support the work of RCA’s and LPN’s and support cohesive team work to ensure resident centered care.
- Enhance the quality of life of the resident/family.
- Consult, confer, and collaborate with other health care providers.
- Maintain and advance your own clinical competence.
- Participates on designated committees/teams and approved research projects as assigned.
WHO WE ARE
Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH) is a world class innovator in medical care, research and teaching, delivering service to more than one million BC residents living in Vancouver, Vancouver's North Shore, Richmond, the Sea-to-Sky Highway, Sunshine Coast, and the Central Coast (Bella Bella and Bella Coola.) At VCH, we embrace thinking boldly, taking smart risks, and "going first" when we believe it will lead to the best possible outcomes for patients and their families. At our core, we are a people-focused organization where entrepreneurial spirit runs deep, and opportunity exists for all those who see themselves in the transformation of health care as we know it.
Education & Experience
- Current practicing registration as a Registered Nurse or Registered Psychiatric Nurse with the BC College of Nurses and Midwives (BCCNM).
- Completion of an approved gerontology course or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Skills & Abilities
- Demonstrated ability in nursing practice related to residents who may have chronic diseases.
- Demonstrated knowledge of pathophysiology of common medical conditions, aging changes, polypharmacy, treatment protocols, and nursing interventions related to common diagnoses and specific care situations related to care of adults living in residential care (e.g. Stroke, Chest pain, Pneumonia; Pain management; Wound Care; Delirium; Dementia; Depression; other mental health conditions; Frail elderly residents with physical and/or cognitive impairments including Acquired Brain Injuries; Chronic illnesses such as COPD and CHF, Diabetes).
- Demonstrated ability to provide nursing assessments & interventions related to common diagnoses and specific care situations relevant to residents (e.g. Respiratory symptoms such as Shortness of Breath; Pressure Ulcer (Braden Scale); Delirium (PRISME/CAMI); Dementia, (PIECES framework); Behavioral and Psychological Symptoms of Dementia (BPSD), GPA - Gentle Persuasion Approach; Dysphagia; Falls; Incontinence).
- Demonstrated ability in recognizing physical adaptations required to accommodate the frail elderly and/or physically impaired resident population.
- Demonstrated ability in End of Life care approaches, Embedding Palliative Approach in Residential Care (EPAIRS) and systems of family dynamics and end-of-life issues. Proactively leads family/resident/Most Responsible Clinician discussions on goals of care and documents reflections of Medical Orders for Scope of Treatment.
- Demonstrated ability in Chronic Disease Management by being able to anticipate and respond to potential complications and care issues relevant to the designated resident group.
- Demonstrated ability in correct usage of equipment such as lifts, oxygen, suction machines, pumps, and other related equipment.
- Demonstrated ability in developing care plans and able to implement care in relation to resident and family priorities, including counselling and teaching residents and families based on their priorities.
- Demonstrated skill in the assessment and management of residents with acute/chronic pain management including residents with Cognitive impairment.
- Demonstrated skill in safe care & management of residents with Oxygen Therapy; VAC Dressing; Wound Care, Catheters, Ostomy Care, Tracheostomy Care, Ventilator Management, and other treatments.
- Demonstrated skill in performing RN autonomous scope of practice and standards of care relevant to designated patient/client population including IV, infection control, isolation protocols, outbreak protocols, Nicotine Replacement Therapy, acute event orders, etc.