Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH) is looking for a Registered Nurse to join the Medial Clinical Resourece Team at Vancouver General Hospital and UBC Hospital. Apply today to join our team!
About FLEX Positions
As per article 17.07 of the Nurses Collective Agreement the flex positions are posted as a 0.8 FTE position but will be paid as a 1.0 FTE.
Employees working in regular flex positions will be booked six (6) weeks in advance for 0.4 FTE, and may be scheduled for short-notice shifts for the remaining 0.4 FTE. Insufficient notice per article 25.08 will not apply for scheduling the remaining 0.4fte
As an RN in this role you will:
- Assess, plan, implement and evaluate client care for designated Acute Medicine patient/client group.
- Participate in discharge planning, functios as a client advocate and teach clients and their families about illness/injury and overall health promotion and wellness.
- Enhance the quality of life of the client/family.
- Document care provided and respond to incidents in accordance with established policies and procedures.
- Consult, confer and collaborate with other health care providers.
- Maintain and advance your own clinical competence.
- Participate on designated hospital committees/teams and approved research projects as assigned.
WHO WE ARE:
Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH) is a world class innovator in medical care, research and teaching, delivering service to more than one million BC residents living in Vancouver, Vancouver's North Shore, Richmond, the Sea-to-Sky Highway, Sunshine Coast, Bella Bella, Bella Coola, and the Central Coast. At VCH, we embrace thinking boldly, taking smart risks, and "going first" when we believe it will lead to the best possible outcomes for patients and their families. At our core, we are a people-focused organization where entrepreneurial spirit runs deep, and opportunity exists for all those who see themselves in the transformation of health care as we know it.
Education & Experience
- Current practicing registration as a Registered Nurse with the BC College of Nurses and Midwives (BCCNM).
- One (1) year recent, related medical/surgical experience.
Skills & Abilities
- Demonstrated ability in nursing practice related to designated Acute Medicine client group including but not limited to patients with complex diseases, respiratory therapies, IV therapies, substance abuse & addictions, delirium, dementia, end of life care and nutritional therapies.
- Demonstrated knowledge of pathophysiology, treatment protocols, and nursing interventions related to common diagnoses and specific clinical situations related to area of practice such as sepsis, acute respiratory illness/disease, malignancies, hematological disorders, diabetes, stroke, GI illness/disease, hepatic disease, renal disease, failure to thrive, heart failure (CHF), pneumonia, renal/bladder care, wound care, delirium, dementia and/or alcohol & drug dependency.
- Demonstrated ability to provide nursing assessments & interventions related to common diagnoses and specific clinical situations relevant to the designated patient/client group such as pain (acute/chronic/neuropathic/palliative), substance use and addictions, substance withdrawal, seizures, sepsis, delirium (PRISME/CAM), dementia, genitourinary conditions, dysphagia, falls, cardiac/respiratory arrest.
- Demonstrated ability to perform focused secondary assessments and integrate information from a variety of sources including diagnostics and develop plan of care relevant to the designated patient/client group.
- Demonstrated ability to anticipate and respond to potential complications and care issues relevant to the designated patient/client group.
- Demonstrated ability in correct usage of and maintains competency in working with equipment such as automated infusion devices, oxygen delivery equipment, ostomy equipment, IV lines, tubes, catheters, drains and/or suctions for patient population.
- Demonstrated ability to document client care on appropriate systems/forms in accordance with organizational and unit standards in a timely and accurate manner.
- Demonstrated skill in the management of patients with acute/chronic pain, cognitive impairment including safe medication reconciliation, transcription, and administration. Utilizes the Pain Assessment Record to perform comprehensive pain assessments
- Demonstrated skill in safe care & management of patients with respiratory therapies, IV therapies, nutritional therapies, wound care, drainage systems and/or transfusions.
- Demonstrated skill in peripheral IV insertion and maintenance, TPN/enteral nutrition and/or care of various tubes/drains.
- Demonstrated skill in performing RN autonomous scope of practice and standards of care relevant to designated patient/client population including IV, infection control, isolation protocols etc.