Vancouver Coastal Health is looking for a Registered Nurse or Registered Psychiatric Nurse to join the team at George Pearson Centre. Apply today to join our team!
As a Registered Nurse/Registered Psychiatric Nurse in Long Term Care you will:
- Use sound judgment and apply critical thinking skills in providing resident care to predominantly older residents in a Long Term Care setting, both by working independently and as a member of an interdisciplinary team.
- Demonstrate expertise and leadership in nursing practice and coordinate the implementation of clinical interventions and evaluation of resident outcomes based on resident goals of care.
- Act as a resource for the interdisciplinary team by providing information and coordination of ongoing resident care.
- Support the work of RCA’s and LPN’s and support cohesive team work to ensure resident centered care.
- Enhance quality of life of the resident/family.
- Consult, confer, and collaborate with other health care providers.
- Maintain and advance your own clinical competence.
- Participate on designated committees/teams and approved research projects as assigned.
Education & Experience
- Current practicing registration as a Registered Nurse or Registered Psychiatric Nurse with the BC College of Nurses and Midwives (BCCNM).
- Completion of an approved gerontology course or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Knowledge & Abilities
- Demonstrated ability in nursing practice related to residents who may have chronic diseases.
- Demonstrated knowledge of pathophysiology of common medical conditions, aging changes, polypharmacy, treatment protocols, and nursing interventions related to common diagnoses and specific care situations related to care of adults living in Long Term Care (e.g. Stroke, Chest pain, Pneumonia; Pain management; Wound Care; Delirium; Dementia; Depression; other mental health conditions; Frail elderly residents with physical and/or cognitive impairments including Acquired Brain Injuries; Chronic illnesses such as COPD and CHF, Diabetes).
- Demonstrated ability to provide nursing assessments & interventions related to common diagnoses and specific care situations relevant to residents (e.g. Respiratory symptoms such as Shortness of Breath; Pressure Ulcer (Braden Scale); Delirium (PRISME/CAMI); Dementia, (PIECES framework); Behavioral and Psychological Symptoms of Dementia (BPSD), GPA - Gentle Persuasion Approach; Dysphagia; Falls; Incontinence).
- Demonstrated ability in recognizing physical adaptations required to accommodate the frail elderly and/or physically impaired resident population.
- Demonstrated ability in End of Life care approaches, Embedding Palliative Approach in Long Term Care (EPAIRS) and systems of family dynamics and end-of-life issues. Proactively leads family/resident/Most Responsible Clinician discussions on goals of care and documents reflections of Medical Orders for Scope of Treatment.
- Demonstrated ability in Chronic Disease Management by being able to anticipate and respond to potential complications and care issues relevant to the designated resident group.
- Demonstrated ability in correct usage of equipment such as lifts, oxygen, suction machines, pumps, and other related equipment.
- Demonstrated ability in developing care plans and able to implement care in relation to resident and family priorities, including counselling and teaching residents and families based on their priorities.
- Demonstrated skill in the assessment and management of residents with acute/chronic pain management including residents with Cognitive impairment.
- Demonstrated skill in safe care & management of residents with Oxygen Therapy; VAC Dressing; Wound Care, Catheters, Ostomy Care, Tracheostomy Care, Ventilator Management, and other treatments.
- Demonstrated skill in performing RN autonomous scope of practice and standards of care relevant to designated patient/client population including IV, infection control, isolation protocols, outbreak protocols, Nicotine Replacement Therapy, acute event orders, etc.
The hours of work including days off and work area may be subject to change consistent with operational requirements and the provision of the Collective Agreement and applicable statutes.
As per the current Public Health Orders (Long Term Care/Seniors Assisted Living Provincial Health Officer Order and the Health Sector Order), as of October 26, 2021, all employees working for Vancouver Coastal Health must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19. Proof of vaccination status will be required.
WHY JOIN VANCOUVER COASTAL HEALTH?
VCH is a world class innovator in medical care, research and teaching, delivering service to more than one million BC residents. At VCH, we embrace thinking boldly, taking smart risks, and "going first" when we believe it will lead to the best possible outcomes for patients and their families. We invite you to join us in creating healthy lives in healthy communities by showcasing our passion for care, connection to the communities we serve and our culture of teamwork that makes VCH a great place to work.
- Comprehensive health benefits package, including MSP, extended health and dental and municipal pension plan
- Grow your career with employer-paid training and leadership development opportunities
- Wellness supports, including counselling, critical incident and innovative wellness services are available to employees and their immediate families
- Award-winning recognition programs to honour staff, medical staff and volunteers
- Access to exclusive discount offers and deals for VCH staff
Diversity, equity, and inclusion are essential to our goals of creating a great place to work and delivering exceptional care. We acknowledge and accommodate unique differences and ensure special measures are in place so that all prospective and current employees are given an opportunity to succeed.
We are committed to building a representative workforce and encourage applications reflecting diversity of sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, racialization or ancestry, disability, political belief, religion, marital or family status, age, and/or status as a First Nation, Metis, Inuit, or Indigenous person.
Vancouver Coastal Health is proud to be recognized as one of Canada's Top 100 Employers in 2022.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for this posting.