Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH) is looking for a Registered Nurse to join the Acute Medicine Unit at Lions Gate Hospital, North Vancouver, BC. Apply today to join our team!
As a Registered Nurse with the Acute Medicine Unit, you will:
- Assesses, plans, implements and evaluates client care for designated acute medicine patient/client group.
- Participates in discharge planning, functions as a client advocate and teaches clients and their families about illness/injury and overall health promotion and wellness.
- Enhances quality of life from the perspective of the client/family. Documents care provided and responds to incidents in accordance with established policies and procedures.
- Consults, confers and collaborates with other health care providers.
- Maintains and advances own clinical competence.
- Participates on designated hospital committees/teams and approved research projects as assigned.
Education & Experience
- Current practicing registration as a Registered Nurse with the British Columbia College of Nursing Professionals (BCCNP).
Knowledge & Abilities
- Demonstrated ability in nursing practice related to designated client group - Acute Medicine including geriatric and chronic disease patient populations.
- Demonstrated knowledge of pathophysiology, treatment protocols, and nursing interventions related to common diagnoses and specific clinical situations related to area of practice (e.g. Cognitive impairment/Dementia; Respiratory Disease/Asthma/COPD; Diabetes; Renal; Bowel management; Gastrointestinal disease; Heart Failure (CHF); Addictions).
- Demonstrated ability to provide nursing assessments & interventions related to common diagnoses and specific clinical situations relevant to the designated patient/client group (e.g. Delirium (PRISME/CAM); Dementia (PIECES framework); Depression (ECT); Dysphagia; Sepsis/Shock; Respiratory depression/failure; Renal failure; Hepatic failure; Stroke; Malignancy; Cardiac complications, Cardiac Arrest; ETOH withdrawal (CIWA Assessment); Endocrine disorders; GI disorders).
- Demonstrated ability to perform focused secondary assessments and integrate information from a variety of sources including diagnostics and develop plan of care relevant to the designated patient/client group.
- Demonstrated ability to anticipate and respond to potential complications and care issues relevant to the designated patient/client group.
- Demonstrated ability in correct usage of equipment and maintains competency in working with Central venous access devices; Oxygen delivery equipment; other care related tubes, catheters, drains, suctions for patient population.
- Demonstrated ability to document client care on appropriate systems/forms in accordance with organizational and unit standards in a timely and accurate manner.
- Demonstrated skill in the management of patients with acute/chronic pain management; addictions/withdrawal issues; end of life care. Utilizes the Pain Assessment Record to perform comprehensive pain assessments.
- Demonstrated skill in safe care & management of IV/CVC; Oxygen Therapy; NG Insertion; Wound care; Chest tubes; Post Thoracentesis/Paracentesis Drains; Catheterization; Medication reconciliation, transcription and administration (various routes).
- Demonstrated skill in assessing, maintaining, troubleshooting CVC/PICC/IVAD; Tracheostomy; NG insertion; Nephrostomy/Percutaneous drains.
- Demonstrated skill in performing RN autonomous scope of practice and standards of care relevant to designated patient/client population including IV, infection control, isolation protocols etc.
The hours of work including days off and work area may be subject to change consistent with operational requirements and the provision of the Collective Agreement and applicable statutes.
As per the current Public Health Orders (Long Term Care/Seniors Assisted Living Provincial Health Officer Order and the Health Sector Order), as of October 26, 2021, all employees working for Vancouver Coastal Health must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19. Proof of vaccination status will be required.
WHY JOIN VANCOUVER COASTAL HEALTH?
VCH is a world class innovator in medical care, research and teaching, delivering service to more than one million BC residents. At VCH, we embrace thinking boldly, taking smart risks, and "going first" when we believe it will lead to the best possible outcomes for patients and their families. We invite you to join us in creating healthy lives in healthy communities by showcasing our passion for care, connection to the communities we serve and our culture of teamwork that makes VCH a great place to work.
- Comprehensive health benefits package, including MSP, extended health and dental and municipal pension plan
- Grow your career with employer-paid training and leadership development opportunities
- Wellness supports, including counselling, critical incident and innovative wellness services are available to employees and their immediate families
- Award-winning recognition programs to honour staff, medical staff and volunteers
- Access to exclusive discount offers and deals for VCH staff
Diversity, equity, and inclusion are essential to our goals of creating a great place to work and delivering exceptional care. We acknowledge and accommodate unique differences and ensure special measures are in place so that all prospective and current employees are given an opportunity to succeed.
We are committed to building a representative workforce and encourage applications reflecting diversity of sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, racialization or ancestry, disability, political belief, religion, marital or family status, age, and/or status as a First Nation, Metis, Inuit, or Indigenous person.
VCH is proud to be recognized as a Best Place to Work in Canada in 2021 by Glassdoor and Forbes.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for this posting.