Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH) is looking for Registered Nurses to join the Operating Rooms at UBC Hospital, Vancouver, BC. Apply today to join our team!
As an RN in the Operating Rooms at Vancouver Coastal Health you will:
- Provide nursing services in an operating room environment as a member of an integrated surgical team performing varied and complex surgical interventions.
- Enhance quality of life from the perspective of the patient/family.
- Consult, confer, and collaborate with other members of the surgical team.
- Demonstrate continuous improvement and best practice approach in nursing practice and patient care.
- Maintain and advance your own clinical competence.
- Participate on designated hospital committees/teams and approved research projects as assigned.
Education & Experience
- Completion of a recognized advanced nursing specialty program in operating room nursing, or two years’ recent, related experience in an acute care operating room environment.
- Current practicing registration as a Registered Nurse with the British Columbia College of Nurses and Midwives (BCCNM).
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Broad knowledge of nursing theory and practice within a patient/family centred model of care.
- Broad knowledge of BCCNM standards for nursing practice.
- Comprehensive knowledge of perioperative nursing techniques, standards, instrumentation, supply and equipment requirements for a wide variety of surgical procedures.
- Broad knowledge of anatomy and physiology.
- Broad knowledge of pharmacology, and patient physiological responses related to anesthesia.
- Demonstrated ability to practice nursing in an operating room environment of an acute care teaching hospital.
- Comprehensive knowledge of and demonstrated ability in applying aseptic technique.
- Demonstrated ability to respond immediately and appropriately to emergency situations.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively as an integral member of an operating room team.
- Demonstrated ability to continually assess patient condition during surgery and to respond appropriately.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively verbally and non-verbally.
- Demonstrated ability deal effectively with, patients and their families, co-workers, physicians, and other health care personnel.
- Demonstrated skill in CPR techniques.
- Demonstrated skill in the assembly and operation of operating room equipment.
- Basic computer literacy and knowledge of operating room computerized patient care information system.
- Physical ability to perform the duties of the position.
The hours of work including days off and work area may be subject to change consistent with operational requirements and the provision of the Collective Agreement and applicable statutes.
As per the current Public Health Orders (Long Term Care/Seniors Assisted Living Provincial Health Officer Order and the Health Sector Order), as of October 26, 2021, all employees working for Vancouver Coastal Health must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19. Proof of vaccination status will be required.
WHY JOIN VANCOUVER COASTAL HEALTH?
VCH is a world class innovator in medical care, research and teaching, delivering service to more than one million BC residents. At VCH, we embrace thinking boldly, taking smart risks, and "going first" when we believe it will lead to the best possible outcomes for patients and their families. We invite you to join us in creating healthy lives in healthy communities by showcasing our passion for care, connection to the communities we serve and our culture of teamwork that makes VCH a great place to work.
- Comprehensive health benefits package, including MSP, extended health and dental and municipal pension plan
- Grow your career with employer-paid training and leadership development opportunities
- Wellness supports, including counselling, critical incident and innovative wellness services are available to employees and their immediate families
- Award-winning recognition programs to honour staff, medical staff and volunteers
- Access to exclusive discount offers and deals for VCH staff
Diversity, equity, and inclusion are essential to our goals of creating a great place to work and delivering exceptional care. We acknowledge and accommodate unique differences and ensure special measures are in place so that all prospective and current employees are given an opportunity to succeed.
We are committed to building a representative workforce and encourage applications reflecting diversity of sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, racialization or ancestry, disability, political belief, religion, marital or family status, age, and/or status as a First Nation, Metis, Inuit, or Indigenous person.
Vancouver Coastal Health is proud to be recognized as one of Canada's Top 100 Employers in 2022.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for this posting.