o you have a passion for nursing? We have the position for you! We are seeking a motivated Registered Nurse with a dedication for delivering compassionate patient care to join our team at St. Johns Hospital.
Within a model of person-centered care and guided by the vision and values of Northern Health, the Staff Nurse is responsible and accountable to provide professional nursing services in a manner consistent with Northern Health standards, the College of BC College of Nurses and Midwives (BCCNM), the National Emergency Nursing Affiliation (NENA) Standards and the Canadian Nurses Association (CNA) Code of Ethics for Nursing. Reporting to the Emergency Manager and as a member of a health care team, the Staff Nurse applies Emergency Nursing knowledge and skills to care for various complex health care issues, from non-urgent to life threatening, for clients who present to the Emergency Department.
UNBC NURS 455 Emergency Training Program Details
- There is 1 training position available for this intake
- Northern Health provides placement support and funding for tuition, textbooks, and travel expenses for clinical placements, as required
- Learners should expect to make a 4 – 8-month commitment for this education, which includes online and in-person learning
- Additional study time, outside of scheduled hours, may be required to successfully complete the program
- Flexibility for practicums is necessary
- Applicants must successfully complete the education program prior to working in the department
- Applicants must be agreeable to an 18 month return of service with Northern Health in the specialty area where training was provided
- Qualified applicants will be considered first for specialty positions. If there are not qualified applicants, training lines will be awarded to unqualified applicants and training will be provided
Shift Rotation/Hours of work: Days, Nights - 07:00 to 19:00, 19:00 to 07:00, rotating
St. Johns Hospital is a 21 acute-care bed facility. The Hospital serves the communities of Vanderhoof and the Saik’uz First Nation, as well as acting as a referral centre for the surrounding communities of Burns Lake, Fort St James and Fraser Lake. They are a full service hospital with 24/7 emergency and OR capabilities. St. Johns Hospital is a teaching facility for the University of Northern BC. Attached to the hospital is Stuart Nechako Manor that has 45 long-term care beds.
Vanderhoof has a population of 4,500 (2021). Nestled in the fertile Nechako Valley, on the banks of the Nechako River, rural Vanderhoof is the geographical centre of the province of British Columbia. Check out Vanderhoof where there is always something new to experience.
What Northern Health has to offer you!
- Comprehensive benefit packages including MSP, extended health/dental and a municipal pension plan for part-time and full-time employees. Casuals have the option of paying for benefits.
- Four weeks vacation with one year of continuous service
- Relocation Incentive is available for eligible positions
- Employee referral program
- Employer-paid training and leadership development opportunities
- Spectacular outdoor activities and the shortest commutes in BC
- “Loan Forgiveness Programs” offered through the Federal and BC Government
Who we are
- Registration with BC College of Nurses and Midwives as a practicing RN registrant.
- Two (2) years’ recent experience working in a tertiary care Emergency Department and/or two years’ recent medical/ surgical experience.
- Completion of an approved post-basic emergency nursing specialty program or equivalent training and experience may be considered.
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACL) for Emergency room.
Northern Health covers an area of nearly 600,000 square kilometers and offers health services in over two dozen communities and 55 First Nation’s communities. We deliver hospital and community-based health care for a population of 300,000.
Employing more than 7,000 staff throughout the region, Northern Health provides exceptional health services for Northerners, through the efforts of dedicated staff and physicians, in partnership with communities and organizations in Northern BC.
There is a wide variety of career opportunities available in our two dozen hospitals, 25 long-term care facilities, public health units and many other offices providing specialized services.