Vancouver Coastal Health is looking for a Nurse Practitioner to join the Personalized Support and Stabilization (PSS) team in Vancouver, BC. Apply today to join our team!
VCH is pleased to announce we will now reimburse Nurse Practitioners (NPs) for the cost of the Objective Structured Clinical Exam (OSCE), upon successful completion, for NP candidates who have not yet completed the exam, and who are hired into a regular or temporary position with VCH. The OSCE reimbursement is in the form of a forgivable loan, which is forgiven after one (1) year of continuous employment in a regular or temporary position with VCH.
As per the current Public Health Orders (Long Term Care/Seniors Assisted Living Provincial Health Officer Order and the Health Sector Order), as of October 26, 2021, all employees working for Vancouver Coastal Health must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19. Proof of vaccination status will be required.
About Personalized Support and Stabilization
The Personalized Support and Stabilization (PSS) Nurse Practitioner will be a part of an innovative multidisciplinary team providing patient and family centred interventions supporting the transition from acute care to home.
The goal of the PSS team is to wrap a patient in support during their journey to continue to stabilize upon discharge at home. The key aspects to this role include providing robust primary care directly upon discharge that is timely, accessible, that provides in the moment support in the patient’s home. The expected outcomes that the NP will contribute to include: decreasing acute care length of stays, decreased readmission rates, increasing patient functioning upon discharge, and decreasing admissions to residential care by providing care in the home.
As a Nurse Practitioner with VCH you will:
- Be responsible and accountable for the comprehensive assessment of patients and clients including diagnosing diseases, disorders and conditions.
- Initiate treatment including health care management, therapeutic interventions and prescribes medications in accordance with the statutory and regulatory standards, limits and conditions, and employer policies and procedures.
- Provide professional guidance to other health professionals and participate autonomously as a member of the interdisciplinary health teams.
- Collaborate with clients and other health professionals to identify and assess trends and patterns that have implications for clients, families and communities.
- Develop and implement population and evidence-based strategies to improve health and participate in policy-making and quality improvement activities that influence health services and practices.
- Participate in peer, program and self-review to evaluate the outcome of the services at the client, community and population level.
- Be responsible for your own professional development and maintaining competence in the position, and maintaining privileges as active medical staff as required.
- Report to an Operational Director, Professional Practice and have key accountabilities for quality assurance and patient safety within the Regional Department of Nurse Practitioners.
WHO WE ARE:
Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH) is a world class innovator in medical care, research and teaching, delivering service to more than one million BC residents living in Vancouver, Vancouver's North Shore, Richmond, the Sea-to-Sky Highway, Sunshine Coast, and the Central Coast (Bella Bella and Bella Coola.) At VCH, we embrace thinking boldly, taking smart risks, and "going first" when we believe it will lead to the best possible outcomes for patients and their families. At our core, we are a people-focused organization where entrepreneurial spirit runs deep, and opportunity exists for all those who see themselves in the transformation of health care as we know it.
Education & Experience
- Current registration as a Nurse Practitioner with the British Columbia College of Nursing Professionals (BCCNP) plus 4 years of recent, and relevant clinical nursing experience.
- Successful completion of the Objective Structured Clinical Examination (OSCE) required.
Knowledge & Abilities
- Ability to perform the full scope of NP duties and responsibilities.
- Applies for and maintains core and non-core privileges, as required by the program, as active medical staff within the VCH Regional Department of Nurse Practitioners and cross-appointments as described in the VCH Medical Staff Rules and Medical Bylaws.
- Ability to apply knowledge of developmental stages, behavioral sciences, pathophysiology, psychopathology, epidemiology, and evidence-based practice to clinical diagnosis and patient management.
- Ability to apply knowledge of pharmacology, pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics to prescribing and evaluating treatment responses.
- Ability to communicate and collaborate with patients and families about health findings, diagnosis, treatment, self care and prognosis.
- Ability to collaborate, consult with and formally refer clients and patients to physicians and other health professionals when appropriate.
- Ability to critically assess and evaluate health research literature to determine best practices; ability to introduce education and evidence-based research.
- Ability to assess and recognize population health trends; ability to plan and implement strategies for population based prevention and health promotion.
- Ability to implement and evaluate planned change.
- Ability to define the specific areas of practice and client population for whom the position is competent to provide health care services.
- Ability to apply lead leadership skills within a program and team setting.
- Ability to self-direct, interact and adapt effectively with other professionals in complex, dynamic situations.
- Ability to transfer knowledge, teach, coach and mentor others.
- Ability to identify and respond appropriately to legal and ethical issues that may arise in patient care.
- Ability to self-assess performance and assume responsibility and accountability for own professional development, educational or consultative assistance when appropriate.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for this posting.