Vancouver Coastal Health is looking for a Registered Nurse to join the Inner City COVID-Outreach Team at Three Bridges Community Health Centre. Apply today to join our team!
About the COVID-19 Outreach Team (COT)
The COVID-19 Outreach Team (COT) provides clinical support to under-housed, precariously housed or homeless clients who are admitted to the designated isolation sites during the COVID-19 pandemic. COT provides short term care to clients admitted to designated isolation sites with a focus on COVID-19 symptom management.
The COT primarily aims to:
• Decrease community transmission of COVID-19
• Transition to alternate level of care ( acute care) when potential serious complications of illness arise
• Manage client’s symptoms based on client’s goals of care and support/monitor client during a period of convalescence.
As a COVID-19 Outreach Nurse with VCH you will:
- Work as part of a multidisciplinary team to provide outreach services to vulnerable/marginalized clients and communities who are at high risk for acquiring/transmitting COVID-19.
- Provide frontline primary health care services to clients in the form of immediate assessment, intervention and treatment.
- Provide harm reduction education, counseling and support from a nursing perspective on issues relating to substance use including brokering access to risk mitigation prescribing for substance use with community based prescribers.
- Distribute harm reduction supplies.
- Collaborate with other community-based agencies to reach populations at high risk for acquiring COVID-19.
- Identify the health issues, behaviours, needs, barriers and challenges for at-risk populations.
- Work collaboratively in team settings to develop creative strategies to address the challenges and participates in research projects, and surveys as required.
WHO WE ARE
Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH) is a world class innovator in medical care, research and teaching, delivering service to more than one million BC residents living in Vancouver, Vancouver's North Shore, Richmond, the Sea-to-Sky Highway, Sunshine Coast, and the Central Coast (Bella Bella and Bella Coola.) At VCH, we embrace thinking boldly, taking smart risks, and "going first" when we believe it will lead to the best possible outcomes for patients and their families. At our core, we are a people-focused organization where entrepreneurial spirit runs deep, and opportunity exists for all those who see themselves in the transformation of health care as we know it.
Education & Experience
- Current practicing registration as a Registered Nurse with the BC College of Nurses and Midwives (BCCNM).
- Two (2) years’ recent, related experience providing screening, assessment, treatment and/or outreach services to clients living in the inner city with multiple health and or social challenges or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Valid BC Driver’s License as local area travel may require the use of a vehicle.
Knowledge & Abilities
- Broad knowledge of nursing theory and practice within a client-centered approach.
- Knowledge of Community development and health promotion principles and practices.
- Knowledge of harm reduction principles and practices.
- Broad knowledge of BCCNM Standards for Practice for registered nurses.
- Broad knowledge of communicable disease, communicable disease control and IPAC measures.
- Broad knowledge of mental health and addictions.
- Broad knowledge of other conditions treated in primary care settings, including chronic diseases, HIV/AIDs, wound care, and infections.
- Broad knowledge of other facilities and community based resources.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing, with clients and their families, health care staff and community partners.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze situations, problem solve and facilitate resolutions.
- Demonstrated listening and information seeking skills that promotes communication and lead to a cooperative approach to problem solving within a multidisciplinary setting.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize, take initiative, be flexible, and work both independently and collaboratively as a member of a multidisciplinary team.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and make nursing practices decisions
- Demonstrated ability to manage aggressive and suicidal behaviour.
- Demonstrated ability to assess client responses to care, and to respond appropriately.
- Demonstrated ability to identify community resources appropriate to client needs.
- Demonstrated ability to adjust to new or unexpected events.
- Demonstrated ability to work with a culturally diverse population including Indigenous communities and sexual minorities.
- Demonstrated de-escalation and conflict resolution skills.
- Demonstrated ability to provide consultation, leadership and work direction.
- Skilled in the use of equipment, and in the techniques appropriate for treatment.
- Demonstrated skill in CPR techniques.
- Physical ability to perform the duties of the position.
- Basic computer literacy to operate a computerized client care information system and word processing, spreadsheet, Internet and e-mail software.
The hours of work including days off and work area may be subject to change consistent with operational requirements and the provision of the Collective Agreement and applicable statutes.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for this posting. Thank you for your interest in Vancouver Coastal Health.